Estimated time of departure is 8:00 PM
Many visitors find landing at Keflavik airport enchanting. The hub seems carved out of an arctic desert, with lava stones covered in moss and haunting mountains nearby. Explore the capital Reykjavík, the charming and vibrant modern city on your own or book a Pre-programme?to explore the surrounding geysers, mountains, glaciers and geothermal baths before bembarking MS Fridtjof Nansen for your expedition.?
The friendly town of Stykkishólmur features beautiful, well-preserved old houses and is surrounded by wonderful scenery. Enjoy exploring the town´s interesting museums or join optional excursions to see such iconic sites on Snæfellsnes Penninsula as the Lóndrangar basalt cliffs or black sand beaches of Djúpalónssandur.
Our experienced captain will plan a day exploring the stunningly beautiful fjords of northwest Iceland.
Conditions will determine the final program and activity for the day. We might visit a small settlement, take you on hikes, or launch our kayaks.
Akureyri is a lively town, famous for its botanical gardens and pretty traffic lights. It is the most populous community outside Reykjavík, and the center of trade, culture and services in northern Iceland. Akureyri is close to many of Iceland’s renowned natural treasures, like Mývatn lake and Goðafoss waterfall.
We will use our tender boats to reach this green and grassy island. It is probably best known for its proximity to the Arctic Circle, which cuts across the island. You get the chance to step across the boundary between the far north and south.
Bakkagerdi is the main settlement in Borgarfjörður, an area known for its natural beauty and as “the land of the elves.” Puffin colonies abound in the fjord, making this a popular place for birdwatching. Bakkagerdi is off the typical tourist track, and offers peace, quiet and lovely views.
Estimated time of arrival is 6:00 AM
Our voyage of discovery and adventure ends in Reykjavik. If you have the time, we recommend to book our Post-programme or spend some extra days to explore fascinating Reykjavik.
Included in Your Expedition
- Expedition cruise in a cabin of your choice
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner including beverages (house beer and wine, sodas, and mineral water) in restaurants Aune and Fredheim
- À la carte restaurant Lindstrøm included for suite guests
- Complimentary tea and coffee
- Complimentary Wi-Fi on board. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- Complimentary reusable water bottle to use at water refill stations on board
- English-speaking Expedition Team who organize and accompany activities onboard and ashore
- Range of included excursions
- Experts on the Expedition Team deliver in-depth lectures on a variety of topics
- Use of the ship’s Science Center, which has an extensive library and advanced biological and geological microscopes
- Citizen Science program allows guests to assist with live scientific research
- Professional onboard photographer gives top tips and tricks for the best landscape and wildlife photos
- Use of the ship’s hot tubs, panoramic sauna, outdoor and indoor gyms, and outdoor running track
- Informal gatherings with the crew such as daily recaps and preparation for the day to come
- Escorted landingswith small expedition boats while in Iceland
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and all equipment for activities
- ?Complimentary wind and water-resistant expedition jacket
- Expedition Photographers help with your camera settings before landings
Not Included In Your Expedition
- International flights
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group activities with our Expedition Team
- Optional treatments in the wellness and spa area
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
- Excursions and activities are subject to change
- Please ensure you meet all visa entry requirements
- No gratuities expected
MS Fridtjof Nansen
|Shipyard||Kleven Yards, Norway|
|Passenger capacity||530 (500 in Antarctica)|
|Gross tonnage||20 889 T|
|Length||140 m / 459 ft|
|Beam||23.6 m / 77 ft|
MS Fridtjof Nansen is the latest addition to Hurtigruten’s fleet of custom-built ships – and represents the next generation of expedition ships. She will explore some of the most spectacular corners of the globe.
Sailing with MS Fridtjof Nansen
- MS Fridtjof Nansen: Life on board and Practical information
- Expedition Team in Iceland
- Young Explorers’ Program: Bring your kids on board